EMA Legal has standing retainers with a number of aged care and disability service providers. As such, we have an in-depth, practical appreciation of the operating requirements facing those who care for some of the most vulnerable people in our community.
AGED CARE & DISABILITY SERVICES SECTORS
EMPLOYMENT & WORKPLACE SAFETY
We advise on employment, work health and safety and regulatory issues. We have acted in a number of high profile award interpretation disputes concerning nurses and care workers, and regularly represent aged care clients in unfair dismissal proceedings and other matters before the Fair Work Commission. In addition to our core employment work, we also advise on a range of other legal issues faced by aged care providers. More information concerning those services can be found here. Many of our aged care and disability sector clients also seek our services for workcover advice and representation.
GENERAL ADVICE & REPRESENTATION
When our clients are faced with the challenging intersection of professional, ethical, commercial and legal issues, our advice is sensitive and nuanced, we understand the various objectives aged care and disability service providers have to achieve.
Some of the specific services we provide include:
- Advising on compliance with legislation concerning aged care, medical treatment and disability services
- Advising and drafting privacy policies, and advising more generally on procedures for handling sensitive information and dealing with complaints
- Advice concerning corporate and clinical governance
- Representation at coronial inquests, government inquiries
- Advising on resident and client complaints
- Advice on professional regulation of staff and contractors
- Advice concerning resident and client complaints
- Training and governance for staff that covers the critical legal issues staff and contractors need to be aware
Our experience means that senior management and directors of aged care and disability services organisations regularly approach us to advise on complex, whole-of-organisation governance matters.